Friday, February 20, 2009

The Pink Album makes me feel like I should actually listen to Jay-Z without any mashed in additions.

So, I get all giddy and schoolgirlish when the topic turns to Bonnaroo, and I'll be honest... I'm a huge lurker over at Inforoo, the unofficial 'roo community. One day, I clicked on a link that said flaming lips + jay-z mashup and I clicked on it eagerly, because, of course, I'm disgustingly devoted to them. I'm surprised more people haven't listened to this gloriousness.

The masher-whose name is Cory Johnson-posted all of his songs to YouTube. He took instrumentals from The Flaming Lips (mostly from Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots but from other albums too) and combined them with vocals from Jay-Z's The Black Album. I'm always surprised by how smooth mashups can be, but these are just ridiculous. My favorite is embedded here:



Holy crap, right? This is a mashup of Jay-Z's "99 Problems" (you know, but a bitch ain't one) and The Flaming Lips' "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots Pt. 2," which is an instrumental track anyway. How does this have only 321 views? Around 21 of those are mine, too. The rest of the album is mixed just as cleverly - highlights include "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" (with "In the Morning of the Magicians") and "What More Can I Say" (with "One More Robot/Sympathy 3000-21"). Go give them a listen; also, you can download the entire album via the message-board link I posted, with direct permission from the artist. Well, not Jay-Z/Wayne Coyne, but you get the idea. Enjoy your free delicious music.

No comments:

Post a Comment