Thursday, April 2, 2009

Deacon/APW

For $6 a ticket, Dan Deacon is coming to the hipster confines of NYU, and I can't go because of my friend's birthday celebration. So why specifically do I want to punch her in the face for being born today?

Is it because I really like Dan Deacon? Not really, even though I do. After all, it's just a concert, and I did get a chance to see him last summer.

Is it because of his incredible live performance? Not at all, cause honestly, his set last year kind of... sucked. Essentially, it was him trying to play party games with his audience while his music was playing in the background... from a laptop.

No, I've heard that this concert is going to be accompanied by a live ensemble band, which has the potential to be really impressive, but that's not even the real reason for poor Sam receiving a broken face (uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, uh-huh, ooh!).

The real reason is a song called "Get Older."



This is the last track off of Dan's new album, Bromst, and I'm not really prone to hyperbole, but I'm fairly confident that this is my favorite song released so far this year.

It starts with something that vaguely sounds like some kind of machine backfiring. Unfortunately, as I've played this song many a time, and it's also been stuck in my head many a time, I semi-often find myself trying to replicate that noise with my mouth. It never, ever works.

Then come the drums. Then comes what I'm sure is a xylophone. Then comes a church organ. Then some more xylophone, and then the song gets bananas. Give it a listen.

Anyway, by the end of the song, as the best Dan Deacon songs often do, my head feels like it's about to explode. And right before it does, out of chaos comes order, and eventually, the track is bookended with that bizarre noise. Perfect.

To conclude that point, I'm going to hit Sam with a full-sized xylophone, as that seems like a fair punishment.

In an unrelated story, I think I again need to go to all three days of All Points West. Even though it took about an hour and a half to get back to a hotel that was maybe fifteen minutes away in real time each night last year, and even though there's no Radiohead-esque band headlining (cause I'm not really into the Beastie Boys), the lineup is still pretty impressive, and there looks like there's gonna be a comedy tent:



Again, I don't really think that there's one band that I love, but there are about fifteen or so that I really like, and a few others that would absolutely be worth seeing. Plus, any opportunity to see Gogol Bordello live is one that needs to be seized immediately.

Currently most excited for? Day 2, cause even though the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, the National, and the Pharcyde promise to be great, I'm giving it to:

Gogol, Tool, Yelle, Crystal Castles, and St. Vincent all in one day?! And I get to yell Arctic Monkeys lyrics all day in an altered state?

Sold. See you guys there.

Love,
Jim

EDIT: The coolest thing that the lead singer of staind has ever, EVER done. Serious boost in my book:

No comments:

Post a Comment