Thursday, March 26, 2009

A shameless vehicle for me to overload a post with Youtube videos. Plus, Spike Jonze (and later on, Christopher Walken) have my heart.

I want to shake this guy's hand. Not the guy on stage, the dude with the rocket arm in the crowd. I don't actually know what part of this is funniest, the fact that he got hit in the head with a rock, or the perfect silence after the question, "WE GOT ANY NICKELBACK FANS IN PORTUGAL?!"



Secondly, before I say anything, I'm gonna admit that the first part of this is really only tangentially related to music, it's just something that I can't stop watching... but I'm gonna try to relate it anyway.

So, yesterday, a video began circulating among my friends through the Internet. I think I ended up seeing it through my friend Marie's Facebook or whatever. Anyway, I'm fairly confident that it ruined my day, because I didn't do a single other thing after I saw it. Honestly, I might have watched it ten times, and I'm watching it again as I write this.

I think I remember reading a while back that the Arcade Fire weren't really into leasing their music out for TV shows and movies and stuff like that. That being said, they've now leased their songs to at least two movie trailers. The first was a Benjamin Button ad late last year (I think the song was "My Body Is a Cage," which was pretty appropriate for that movie).

EDIT: Found it. This was pretty awesome too, and short, unlike the movie itself. Give it a watch.



And now this, an absolutely unbelievable use of "Wake Up" for the first trailer of Where the Wild Things Are. It starts with an acoustic version of the song, but when the distortion kicks in...



Look at those wild things. LOOK AT THOSE FUCKING WILD THINGS.

But I digress. The guy responsible for this movie is Spike Jonze (for a while, I pronounced his name "Jones-y," which is embarrassing). Spike also made Being John Malkovich, but more importantly, he's done some great music videos, which I'll shamelessly link to now:

Weezer - "Buddy Holly"



Fatboy Slim - "Weapon of Choice" (how you can be involved with this, The Deer Hunter, Joe Dirt, and Kangaroo Jack is beyond me, but I love Christopher Walken for it)



Finally, a kind of disturbing one for "Y Control" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. In what can only be described as a flawless example of bringing this post back to that awesome trailer, apparently, Karen O of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs is helping to score Where the Wild Things Are. Jim, that was perfect.



Sadly, the last time I got this excited for a movie based on a first trailer was only like eighteen months ago, when the first shots of the Statue of Liberty's head skidding down the street previewed Cloverfield... but I think this is different. Mainly, I think this movie will be longer than Cloverfield's approximately 25-minute length, and that it won't be quite as gimmicky (although, I really liked Cloverfield.

So yeah, that's about it. And, March Madness is still going on.

Remember when Kristina wrote for us?

Love,
Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment