Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Update: Arcade Fire 1, Flaming Lips 0.

From an Entertainment Weekly interview with Wayne Coyne, partially on "Do You Realize?" being named Oklahoma's state song:

Entertainment Weekly:Did the Arcade Fire send a congratulatory telegram?

Wayne Coyne: [Laughs] They didn’t. I wish that had never happened. I didn’t necessarily mean it about the people in the Arcade Fire. I meant it about the guys that were running their stages at a couple of festivals. I wish whatever had been said wouldn’t have been taken as such a defiant statement from the Flaming Lips, because it wasn’t. I just assumed [their response] was a joke.

EW:Really? He seemed pretty annoyed to me.

WC:I can totally see that now.

EW:Would you care to apologize to them now?

WC:I would. I really feel bad about it. I like enough of their music. The idea that I’m somehow against them… I’m not!

Sadly, I guess that's over, and an apology from the Flaming Lips technically means that the Arcade Fire won. In retrospect, I feel like I should've been rooting for Wayne though. I kind of wish that rockers would release "diss tracks" with the same frequency that rappers do. Especially if we had bands of this magnitude making them?

Put it this way: when Jay-Z and Nas were putting out great tracks against each other a decade or so ago, it was almost always worth listening to. By contrast, nobody really needs to hear Paul Wall quibble with Chamillionaire about which one of them is slightly more relevant.

So this is my plea for alt-rock diss tracks. Since the Flaming Lips already released a track called "Thank You, Jack White (For the Fiber-Optic Jesus That You Gave Me," it really isn't much of a stretch for them to take it a step further and put out something in the vein of "Putting the Fire Out (Dismembering Win, Limb by Limb)."

Think about it.

Enclosed in the playlist are the two best tracks from the Jay-Z/Nas feud, and "Thank You Jack White (For the Fiber-Optic Jesus That You Gave Me."

Love,
Jim


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

No comments:

Post a Comment